Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support about my half marathon in May! I’m so excited about it, and really feel like I have so many friends and supporters backing me up! I’m excited about the whole training process, and can’t wait for race day!
As I’ve began running a lot more (how I became a “runner” post in the next day or so), I’ve realized that being safe isn’t just wearing the proper shoes. There are some really important things to be aware of when running. Always use common sense to be safe, and check yourself to make sure your colors are bright, your shoes are tied and you know where you are going!
It’s also important to:
- Run AGAINST traffic if you are on the street, so you can see the cars coming towards you.
- Be aware of your road. Watch for cracks, bumps, branches, rocks or any other obstructions.
- Be visible! Wear bright and/or reflective colors so drivers can see you. The more, the better!
- Don’t run alone in the dark.
- Don’t assume drivers see you, or will move out of the way. Make eye contact when you can.
- Watch out for other runners, walkers or cyclists. Communicate a need to pass them, to keep both of you safe
- CARRY ID
I never hit the road without some kind of ID with me, even if I’m just taking Rufio around the block. If anything happens, you want medical personnel or anyone helping you to know WHO YOU ARE and WHO TO CONTACT in case of emergency.
Road ID offered to send me a gift card so I can try out some of their products myself.
- Road ID manufactures the premier line of identification gear for outdoor athletes so they can be identified in case of emergency or accident.
- Road ID is designed to give medically trained first responders the information they need to immediately contact family members, access medical information and prevent serious delays in case of injury. The company’s line of customized IDs is an integral part of any active person’s gear and can be worn on the wrist, shoe, ankle or around the neck.
- A full line of innovative ID products is available for cyclists, runners, triathletes, skiers, kayakers and other outdoor enthusiasts.. Since 1999, the father-and-son-owned company has been providing safety gear to help make training and racing safer. For more information, please visit www.RoadID.com.
- Our dream is to see the day where wearing ID is as common among athletes as wearing a seatbelt is among motorists.
- Our mission is twofold: One, to educate outdoor enthusiasts (runners, cyclists, triathletes, skiers, snow boarders, kayakers, walkers, and anyone that doesn’t spend all of their time on the couch) about the importance of wearing ID. Two, to provide these athletes with innovative identification products that they will want to include as part of their gear.
- Road ID comes in 6 STYLES (the Wrist ID Sport, the Wrist ID Elite, the Shoe ID, the Ankle ID, the Fixx ID (necklace), and the Shoe Pouch ID. Products range in price from U.S. $19.99-$29.99.
- All orders ship in 2-3 business days with standard U.S. shipping at a cost of $1.49. International shipping (to the U.K., Australia, etc) is only US $2.49.
- Road ID comes in 2 VERSIONS: Original and Interactive. The Interactive Version is supported by the 24/7/365 Emergency Response System. The Original Version has room for 6 lines of customized text. The Interactive Road ID requires a yearly membership to the Emergency Response System ($9.99/year). The first year of membership to the Emergency Response System is FREE with the purchase of any Road ID. You can find a very informative interactive overview of the two versions on the homepage of our website, www.RoadID.com
- Customers only pay one membership fee per Emergency Response Profile (ERP). So, if they have 5 Road IDs assigned to 1 ERP, they only pay 1 annual fee, not 5. In fact, they get a FREE year of membership with each ID purchase. So, if they purchased 5 Interactive Road IDs, they get 5 years of membership for FREE.
I think they have a great mission, and some great morals, plus I LOVE supporting family owned companies, since I married into one!
Speaking of my family, since Solomon is so excited about becoming a runner, I offered him the bulk of the giftcard (you’ll see another way I carry ID later this week!)
He got an original wrist ID in black.
We were also able to get a Firefly Supernova, which is a SUPER bright flashing light that clips right to your clothing. There’s no way a driver wouldn’t see you with this on!
Now, it’s giveaway time for one of you! I’m super excited about being able to share this!
Road ID has offered a giftcard to one of you, so that you can stay safe on the road! I’m going to give you 4 ways to enter!
- Leave a comment below telling me your most important safety tip!
- Go to the Road ID website, shop around, and comment below which item you want and why.
- Become a fan of Road ID on Facebook and/or Twitter, leave a comment below that says you have become a fan.
- Repost this contest on your blog and leave me a message that you did!
I’m leaving this contest open until February 15th!